RSS

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Thank You President Packer for Another Nail in my Closet Door.

I'm stunned.

I'm saddened.

From the very beginning of President Packer's talk there was a frosty chill sweeping down from the Conference pulpit. Even his voice was hard; like Billy Bob Thornton in Sling Blade.

I had been looking forward to Conference. My family got together early for breakfast and the we all settled into our favorite spots to watch. I sat there with my mom, brothers and sisters and literally thought "Damn, you can forget about coming out to them any time soon." I got up after he spoke and excused myself. The rest of that session I spent driving around angry in the hills, listing on the radio.

Darth Vader's theme from Star Wars should have been playing while he spoke.
Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

Laurent said...

I'm no longer bothered. He's an old dinosaur with an opinion. I just wish folks will forget his words just like folks choose to forget the whole racism nonsense the church was dabbling with for a long time.

Anonymous said...

I'd agree with you BLB but mormons can't just tut-tut a General Conference talk by the acting Pres. of the Quorum of the Twelve. The Church as a culture could only sweep its 130 years of theological racism after the 1978 repeal of the Black Priesthood Ban. This talk was the complete opposite of a repeal.

People thought that the Church was becoming more accepting and understanding (e.g. "God Loveth His Children" pamphlet and giving support for anti-discrimination laws in SLC).

Here's a good article posted quickly after the talk aired:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/50404210-75/church-sex-lds-packer.html.csp

My suggestion to any Mohos out there, read "No Man Knows My History" and/or "An Insider's View of Mormon Origins". The lies go deeper than you know and its time to GET OUT!

Mormon and Gay said...

The talk was pretty upsetting for me as well.
Today I found an article/podcast that was very well put.
The link is on my blog.

http://beingmormonandgay.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

What I would suggest is realizing that the LDS church is NOT the true church as it so famously suggests itself to be. I'm not attempting to bash the church, that's not my point. But IMO the LDS church paints a pretty picture of itself through Mormon Messages (youtube) while at the same time giving someone a pulpit to spew out anti-gay hatred. I wonder how many young gay Mormon boys heard Packer's message who now are thinking suicide is their only means of escape.